Thursday 29 September 2011

The build up

After spending a summer attempting to earn money and come up with a 'life-plan', I have, as so many graduates do, decided to start blogging. Not sure about you, but the word blogging makes me laugh. For those of you who know me, know that my grammar is awful (ironically I did't spell either of those two words correctly at first)  and that my spelling is worse. For those of you who don't, why are you reading this?

As some of you may know I am heading off to India on Sunday. I am volunteering for a charity called YUWA (what that actually stands for no one will ever know) based in the Jharkhand state, 40 minutes away from the captial, Ranchi (not to be mistaken for Raunchy). YUWA is a charity which provides a basic 'platform' for girls to build up their confidence and increase social mobility by providing football coaching sessions, extra English lessons giving them a basic sense of belonging, something which we in the western world take for granted. Anyway, for those who are really interested here is the link...

http://yuwa-india.org/Index.html

My job role? Well from what I have gathered I will be acting as a mentor to the girls along with developing their English department and the charity as a whole, through talks with the government and commercial companies.

Due to the isolated nature of the village I'm going to, motorbikes are the main mode of transport. I have one waiting for me when I get there. For the people I have told, their initial response is to laugh, laugh at the idea of me riding a motorbike...in India. It's OK though because I hear their roads are really good and that their driving is wonders above that of the Swiss.

So with 20kg for the next 3 months (4kg of which is a bike helmet) I set off on a unknown, potentially hazardous yet guaranteed exciting adventure.

P.S As I am new at this, I have decided to start off short and sweet which can be partially due to my incredibly short attention span.

No comments:

Post a Comment